Sunday, July 26, 2009

Feeling a Little Dirty?



When I'm feeling dark and a little shady, I like to strap on my ears and visit the grimy streets of the Neko sims, where it's always midnight and you can find endless places to explore in towering apartment buildings and underground tunnels.

Last night I picked Dirty City.

The build was amazing. While you'll find endless commentary on the natural creations in Second Life, with the flowers, trees and wildlife (and rightly so) sometimes my heart longs for the dirty streets of the inner city where I grew up and exploring well constructed sims dedicated to recreating that feeling helps settle those longings.. just a bit.

At Dirty City I walked along abandoned streets where stray dogs sat quietly watching. I found a Gypsy wagon selling food with laundry hanging from the roof and got lost in sewer pipes underground. One dark alley hid a body hanging in the dark... he was a Linden... just in case ya'll know of any of the SL elite who've gone missing.

Of course there were shops with Goth/Urban inspired designs, but sadly most of the shops I found were empty, something I'm seeing more and more of as I explore Second Life.

Is the Second Life economy suffering along with the rest of the world? Are shop owners pulling out? Or are sim owners simply devoting more of their land to shop rentals, in hopes of making a little more money?

With it's train idling at the station, bus stops and flaming trash barrels, Dirty City is a fun place to explore when you want to embrace the seedy underbelly of Second Life and get in touch with your inner wild child. You can even do a little dumpster diving while you're there.

Not that I did.

*cough*

Anyway...

That's our slice for this week. Don't forget to stop by the Second Slice Cafe. Pick up a group tag to access the jukebox and spend some time chilling out to your favorite oldies music.

No comments:

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com